Unable to add custom JDBC driver avatica

Hi everybody.

I am trying to add a custom JDBC driver to Helical Insight 7.0.0 that runs as a container on Ubuntu.

I found this link:

I have the two jar files: avatica-1.29.0.jar and slf4j-api-2.0.20.jar.

I uploaded the avatica-1.29.0.jar file via the gui (DataSources → Add Driver. And it shows these two messages:
“The file has been imported successfully” and “The file avatica-1.29.0.jar has been imported successfully”

I also create a directory in “/helical/helicalinsight/helicalinsight-7.0.0-docker/hi/hi-repository/System/Plugins” named “avatica” and uploaded the slf4j-api-2.0.20.jar into there.

Now even after a docker compose restart and down/up it doesnt detect avatica even as a Plain JDBC Datasource.

I take it I forgot to add something somewhere. Do I need to edit other files like databaseDrivers.properties.

Could anyone help me how to add avatica as JDBC to Helical 7.0.0.

Cheers everybody.

Hello @TheDave (Dave),

We looked at caclite driver. This latest version of calcite is tested till java 24 only. Whereas Helical Insight is built on Java 25. So we are guessing that is perhaps the reason why you are not able to see the driver on the data sources page despite uploading it.

NOTE: Steps you followed are correct, no restart is required. If the driver is compatible with java 25, it should reflect on the data sources page (or on a hard refresh of data sources page) after uploading from UI.

Requirement: Could you let me know with what do you want to connect via calcite? We do have many other methods like Apache Drill, Trino, Presto, Druid etc. If you can let us know what is your requirement, we can perhaps provide you some solution for that.