Handling comma in filter value

Hello Helical Team,

I am using Helical Insight 4.0 EE. I have text data in a column of metadata which has comma in it also. I am using this column as a filter. When I am trying to filter data, the text before the column is considered as one value while text after it is considered next value (which should not happen). Hence, I am getting error (as filter name does not match).

Thank You,
Netta.

Hello Netta,

In SQL, multiple values are separated by a comma when being used in a filter. Hence, any text that has comma in it, will be split.
One work around is that instead of using comma (,) to specify that one value is over and the other value is starting we can replace it by combination of something else.

Example : if you have value in the DB like the below
value1 = a,cde
value2 = f,ghi

So now when you would like to pass multiple values we can use some escape character or sequence of escape character, which will help us understand and differentiate between what is part of the value and from where we need to start the next value.
So let us say we have decided that this sequence of character is #, then in case if user wants to put value1 and value2 into the values he can pass like this

a,cde #, f,ghi
instead of
a,cde , f,ghi

Whenever the SQL will encounter comma, it will be ignored till it encounters # character.

This change needs to be made in the SQL Dialect file at the backend for the application to understand and send the correct query to the database. Every database has its respective dialect file at the backend. This pattern matching logic needs to be written in that file. You could get in touch with us at support@helicalinsight.com to help you with identifying and fixing the respective DB dialect file at Helical Insight end. You can select a sequence of your choice.

Thank You,
Helical Insight.